The Ministry of Justice has published its Judicial and Court Statistics for 2011. These show an increase in claims in the Commercial Court and Technology and Construction Court, reverting to 2009 levels after a fall in 2010, but a slight drop in claims for the Queen’s Bench and Chancery Divisions. Some points of interest include:
- There were 1,331 claims issued in the Commercial Court, an increase of 26% from 2010 after a 16% fall between 2009 and 2010.
- 483 claims were received in the Technology and Construction Court, an increase of 15 per cent on 2010 but similar to the 2009 figure.
- There was a slight drop in the number of claims issued in the London Queens Bench and Chancery Divisions, of 3% (to 4,726) and 5% (to 4,568) respectively.
- 1,269 appeals were filed in the Court of Appeal on civil matters, a similar number to 2010.
- The Supreme Court received 208 petitions for permission to appeal and disposed of 202, of which 143 were refused outright. 77 appeals were presented and 81 disposed of.